Joint study meetrics
How advertisers evaluate online campaigns correctly
In order to understand the interplay between contact and advertising impact it is necessary to examine a number of perception factors, such as medium size or visibility, as well as targeting. Looking at figures in isolation provides limited information when evaluating online campaigns.
This is why the joint study, conducted by United Internet Media and Meetrics, took the innovative, comprehensive approach of combining measured KPIs on ad impact while measuring people’s personal perceptions of the ads.
The study looked at four campaigns with a focus on conventional impact parameters, such as brand awareness and recall. Standard ad formats from the Universal Ad Package (UAP) and the large-format MaxiAD+ Exclusive were used.
An excerpt of the main results:
The sociodemographic profile of the reached target audience impacted the length of visibility.
- The Ø visibility duration for women is far higher than for men of the same age, this was particularly the case for women under the age of 20.
- The differences become less dramatic among middle-aged people (ages 30 to 49).
- The differences between genders increase with older age.
This shows that the sociodemographics of the reached target audience – as well as the value of the targeting – has an impact on the visibility duration.
The advertising impact initially grows with viewing time – over 15 seconds of visibility do not translate into any greater impact, though.
- A visibility duration of just 1-5 seconds showed a great boost in impact for the Universal Ad Package and MaxiAD+ Exclusive.
- 5-10 seconds or 11-15 seconds are enough for the Universal Ad Package or MaxiAD+ Exclusive to have a full impact.
- More than 15 seconds of visibility do not translate into improved impact.
The study results show how multifaceted campaign impacts are. Online campaigns need to be examined in a comprehensive way, and factors such as the reached target audience and advertising media size need to be taken into account.